Wednesday, October 08, 2008

New Book

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel by David Wroblewski


My review


With all the trash romance novels I read (and there ain't no shame in that), when I come across a writer whose words are crafted like a beautiful quilt, all coming together to warm the reader's soul, it just makes me want to savour every moment of every sentence. This is the case with this beautiful book. It is set in the early 1900s, on a farm, where Edgar Sawtelle is born mute (though he can hear). Here is just a taste: "His father, reading to him at bedtime, voice quiet, lamplight yellow on the lenses of his glasses. The story is The Jungle Book. Edgar wants to fall asleep with Mowgli and Bagheera still in his mind, for the story to cross from the lamplight into his dreams. his father's voice stops. he sits up. More, he signs, fingertips together." Okay, maybe that's not THAT incredible but woven through many other passages of gold, it is a joy to read.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

alohab said...

I can't believe you already finished it. I can't wait to read this. Next time I go to Costco I'm getting it :).