Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Dare to Danish - A Lesson in Podcasts

My latest technological adventures have been in podcasting. Once I downloaded my first I was hooked. I listen to all kinds of podcasts, from National Geographic and Comedy Central to Clippodcast.com (critical literacy) and Crash Test Kitchen. My list goes on and on, some audio, some video.

So as I was skimming through the available podcasts (on itunes) I came upon a Danish language podcast and thought, HEY! I'm half Danish. My mom speaks Danish. I'm going to learn some Danish! And I downloaded it and listened to the first one and thought, HEY! (again). This is GREAT! I can understand AND almost figure it out on my own. The phrase was "Can I eat this?" A female voice says the phrase in English, there is a brief pause and then a male voice says it in Danish, nice and slow, and that's it! "Can I eat this? Kan jeg spise dette?" Nice and slow. Repeatable with a press of the button. That's your phrase for the day. Or week. It was great. I was excited. Lots of Heys!

So as soon as the new phrase was posted I put the ear buds in, pressed play, and out comes the phrase: "My underpants are dirty". WHAT???????? hmmm. A bit bizarre. I'll give it another shot. Next phrase: "You can suck my gummy bear." What's up with the Danes? Other useful phrases on the podcast include, but are not limited to: "Get that donkey out of here" (you never know when that phrase'll come in handy), "You ruined my birthday" (apparently the author has issues), and "I gargled beer for an hour" (must be a male).

So for now I am over the Danish phrase learning until something more in my age bracket becomes available. In the meantime my mother will have to contend with my limited knowledge of de danske, my dirty underpants, and talk about donkeys.

3 comments:

lalismama said...

that's so funny... I bet Kalena would enjoy it.

Aunty Keeks said...

I tried to comment earlier but I'm at work and the webblock page came up saying I can't go to your page anymore due to the word SEX.

ha-la-la.

Also mom this is your funniest blog yet.

Aunty Keeks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.