Sunday, May 20, 2007

Wine Ratings

Here are my wine ratings, ala Napa Valley wine tasting adventure:

Numero 'Uno Winery, mostly because I like the bubbly:

Chandon - Founded in 1973 Domain Chandon was the first sparkling wine producer outside Champagne to be established by a French house using only the traditional method ( http://www.chandon.com/default.html )

How good was it, you ask?

Their sparkling wine was SO GOOD we went there everyday, once to end our day of wine tasting and twice to start it off. On our last day there, we were chomping on the bit, counting each minute until they opened at 10 am. Lushes extraordinaire (stay tuned for pics).

It was SO GOOD this was the ONLY winery where we actually became members. Essentially this means that every other month they will send us, automatically, two bottles of wine and bill our charge cards. BRING IT ON, I say.

It was SO GOOD we made best friends with the wine ambassador, Joe Baez (whose name was easily remembered for obvious reasons) and people recognized us each day we arrived for our free glasses of champagne (one of the perks of being members).

It was SO GOOD, we ordered half a dozen and it is being shipped here AS WE "SPEAK". All I can say is, "CHEERS"!!!!

It was SO GOOD, it is about the only winery I can remember right off the top of my head.

Okay, after checking my papers strewn about the bottom of my suitcase the other great wineries include: Franciscan, Beringer, Duckhorn (YUM-O!!! and at $50+ a bottle it better be!) and Sattui.

I should have taken the lead from my great friend, Lisanne, who purchased coasters from each favorable winery (and they were pretty much ALL favorable except for one, which offered complimentary wine tasting. We should have known there was a reason. Clue number two that we would be disappointed? $4.00 price on a bottle of wine. I don't think I would even pay that much. The name you ask? Leave me a comment and you shall receive a personal email telling YOU who to avoid when making your wine purchase). It might have tasted much better were I only 18, a time when Spanada and Strawberry Hill were at the top of my chart.

Note to daughter: never leave a bottle of your wine here (Menage a Trois) after mom returns from a Napa Valley trip. Chances are slim to 1/4 full that it will not be here when you return.